Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Monday, September 6, 2010
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Big wide square vases are not the easiest to arrange in. You need big flowers or structure of some sort. Luckily we had green Annabelle Hydrangeas more than 6" across to use as the main support for these smaller bright flowers the bride requested.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Saturday, July 17, 2010
Pinky Winky Hydrangea
Pink Diamond Hydrangea
Little Lamb Hydrangea
A large flowered selection with broad 12" by 8" conical lacy blooms. Extremely large white florets transform to a rich pink not seen in other selections. Flowers are held distinctly upright. Degree of coloration is dependent upon climate. Introduced by the De Belders of Belgium. FIRST CHOICE AWARD '96. Zone 4, 6-8 feet, gr 1, Full Sun - partial shade
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
We are now taking orders for roots of the following Peonies. Prices are listed. They will be available the very end of September-early October. It is an excellent time to get them established in the ground for a Spring show.
|Common Name: Peony-Intersectional|
- Very large, tree peony-like flowers in colors not previously seen in herbaceous types
- Healthy, herbaceous foliage similar to tree peonies but with a robust, bushy habit that does not require staking
- Strong, herbaceous stems that hold the flowers upright even after a heavy rain; makes a better landscape plant than older herbaceous peonies
- A longer bloom time due to additional flowers being produced on side shoots
- Extreme winter hardiness like herbaceous types but with increased vigor
- Price is $38 each these large unique roots- spring potted price ~$50
Paeonia 'Karl Rosenfield'
Brilliant, fuchia-red blooms are both sizable and fragrant. This double variety blooms from early to midsummer.
Price for 3-5 eyes Bare woody root: $10.00
potted in the spring ~$16
Monday, July 5, 2010
These are great little daisies that don't set seed so they keep blooming for about 8 weeks in the middle of the summer. Their only real care requirement is division every 3-4 years to keep the clumps healthy and spread out. They are just 10" tall in our garden!
'Snowcap' was introduced in the United States by Wayside Gardens in conjunction with English plantsman, Alan Bloom.
Shasta Daisies are all-time favorites for the perennial border. The cheery flowers begin to appear in late spring and continue on for several months if faithfully deadheaded. Shastas mix so effortlessly with other perennials that no garden should be without them!
Dwarf Shasta Daisy 'Snowcap'is now ready for sale @ $6.00
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Pollinators A Regional Guide for Farmers, Land Managers, and Gardeners In the and NAPPC Central Appalachian Broadleaf Forest Coniferous Forest Meadow
For National Pollinator Week. I thought I'd suggest this excellent 24 page guide to plants for pollinators. It's a great resource for farmers, gardeners and students alike. The regional guide offers nice illustrations, plant lists, seasonal charts to encourage you to have blooms throughout the season and descriptions of the various pollinators in our region.
Trees and Shrubs
▪ Clethra acuminata 'Vanilla Spice'
▪ Hydrangea arborescens 'Incrediball'
▪ Hydrangea arborescens 'Incrediball Spirit'
▪ Rubus odoratus - Flowering Raspberry
▪ Chelone lyoni - Turtlehead
▪ Geranium macutatum - Wild Geraniium
▪ Helianthus sp.
▪ Liatris spicata - Blazing Star
▪ Lobelia syphilitic - Great Blue Lobelia
▪ Monarda didyma - Bee Balm
▪ Penstemon small - Blue ridge Beards Tongue
▪ Thermopsis sp. 'Sophia'
▪ Vernonia noveboracensis - Ironweed
▪ Aristolochia macrophylla - Dutchman's Pipe
▪ Parthenocissis quinquefolia - Va. Creeper
▪ Flower Habitat for Bees:
▪ Catnip - available some years
▪ Lavender - great for bumblebees
▪ Rugosa Roses
Friday, June 25, 2010
It's that season again. I've attached several photos of our daylilies. We bring just a few each week to the market. We also are taking orders for our $50 package of 20 named varieties, yellows or pastels. In addition, at the nursery we have several varieties in pots ready to go. We can dig any of our varieties for you, so you are welcome to come out and choose. Please make a weekday appointment for this option.