How to care for your Cut Flowers and Buckets of Flowers
- Handle gently
- Make sure they're stems are down in water at all times. They use the most water the first 24 hours.
- If you are arranging re-cut the stems as are you put them back into water.
- Most arrangements improve with larger flowers near the bottom with the foliage; leaving the spiky flowers tall and airy.
- Make sure they are in a cool spot out of the wind and sun at all times.
- For flowers in your home, use a floral preservative or a drop of clorox to keep the bacteria in check. Change the water often. This is not so important for wedding flowers or short term use.
- Most flowers will last a week. Dahlias a bit shorter than a week.
- Crowding flowers will bruise them. Bruising starts their decline.